May 19, 2015

Promises of spring

I don't work in garden because my garden needs work.
I work in my garden because I need garden work.

Sure, my garden isn't a traditional one.
I grow a lot of weeds.

My garden plot is full of daisies.
Yes, I'd love to have neat cottage garden.
Or modern and clean with architectural design.
Or secret paradise surrounded huge stone hedge.
But I don't.
Instead I have clayey ground and limited resources.
So I protect almost anything that grows and blooms.
Like lady's mantle.
Alchemilla vulgaris
Mine is just common Alchemilla vulgaris , that is found anywhere,
not the Alchemilla mollis, the big one, that is sold as  perennial. 

I do have berry bushes.
Karviainen

I do have trees.
Yleinen keltaluumu

And I do have perennials.
Vuorikaunokki ja pioni

They all give me promises in spring
- if they have survived winter:
the frost, the voles, the rabbits.

A promise of blossom.

A promise of harvest.

A promise of beauty of summertime.
Syringa josikaea

Lemmikki

At this time of year they are not yet eaten.

Some of them are already in bloom.
Even in the middle of that green and brown ground that used to be lawn.

2 comments :

  1. Joo - o. Eilen oli tosi hieno keli ja ajattelin että nyt alkaa kesä ja täälläkin kukkaset pääsee esiin mutta se oli turha toivo. +9 astetta, vettä ilmassa ja aivan stanan kylmä tuuli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantyylistä säät täälläkin on piisannut ihan kyllästymiseen asti. Sen tähden mä pidänkin ihan käsittämättömänä tätä, että nuo kasvit tuolta tunkevat ylös - käsin kun maata kokeilee, niin on aivan kylmää ja saven seassa oli vielä viime viikolla jäähilettä. Siitäkin huolimatta, että Etelä-Suomessa ei routaa pahemmin talvella ollut. Ei uskalla edes kuvitella, että perunoita lykkisi maahan, varmaan yöpakkasia riittä taas juhannukselle asti...

      Delete